Sonntag, 3. August 2014

In the darkness




 When I go to the office by bike I always make sure to leave on time, so that I get through the forest before it is pitch dark – I mean that kind of dark where you can’t see your hand in front of your eyes. I know there are wild boars in the forest – I don’t want to meet them. Actually, I am so scared that I sing on my way back cycling through the forest. Maybe that scares them off before they see me. But I don’t cycle through the forest when it is pitch dark. If I ever meet a group of wild boars I want at least be able to see them.

When I want to stay longer in the office, I take the car. When I get out of the lab building I press the button on the car keys so that the lights on my car flash to locate it, even though it is parked no more than two metres from the door. Then I feel for the keyhole and once the door is open the light inside the car comes on. That light is enough to go back and lock the door of the lab building behind me.



Tonight, when locking up, I see something moving in the bushes. I stop breathing. Wild boar? I get into the car and close the door. I switch the headlights on. The animal in the bushes freezes, too. I wait. After a little while it comes out – far too small for a grown up boar. It hops onto the car park and stops right in front of me, looking into the headlights – it’s a kangaroo!!! We are both startled by each other’s presence – then the kangaroo very slowly hops over to the other side of the path and disappears in the dark. 

Now I am wondering if kangaroos are common in the forests of central France (I would not have been surprised to see a wallaby in Scotland – they live there in the wild) – but I have doubts and worry if this is one of the zoo kangaroos that has escaped from its enclosure.

Keine Kommentare: